top of page

How can you finance your Hungarian studies?


  • Scholarships

  • Other costs

  • Can you work during your studies?

Hungarian Study visa, tuition, scholarship

However, the tuition still the smallest in the EU one of the biggest cost could be your tuition. You can learn the your the subjects in Hungarian, English and German language in the Hungarian Universities. There are two semesters in a Hungarian Academical year.

The courses in Hungarian language are generally cheaper than the English courses. If you want to learn your subjects in Hungarian you can enroll one of the preparatory courses. The preparatory courses cost are about 1500 - 2000 € semester.

The tuition of the university semesters depends on the subject and the university. The tuitions of the cheapest universities start 1200 € / semester. Even the more expansive tuitions (like in the Medical Universities) are under 9 000 € / semester.

If you download our free guide you can learn how much is the tuition in the Hungarian Educational Institutions.

Is there any financial aid? – Scholarships?


There is a full range of scholarships, available for the Non European Union students to financing their studies in Hungary. One part of the scholarships are from international funding. Other scholarships are funded by the Hungarian Government.

What can you study on scholarships?

Study fields supported by the Stipendium Hungaricum Program or “bilateral scholarships”:

Agriculture, Natural Resources

Arts (visual and performing)

Business, Management and Public Administration

Medicine and Health Sciences

Humanities, Education, Behavioral Sciences

IT, Computer Sciences, Mathematics

Law, Social Sciences

Natural Sciences

Technology, Engineering, Architecture

Tourism, Recreation

What can be financed by scholarship?

It depends on the scholarship. Most of them finance the tuition fee, but some also finance the living costs and the health insurance some even provides accommodation.

There are many different scholarships available for the Non European Union students.

Bilateral Scholarships

One part of the scholarships based on bilatereal agreements. They are available only for students of certain countries. Please contact to the Hungarian consulate of your home country whether any bilateral scholarship is available in your country.

Stipendium Hungaricum

The Program is based on effective educational cooperation agreements between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education. It is financing the studies of thousand of Non European students every year.

From which country can you apply?

Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Georgia, India, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea, Kurdistan Regional Government/ Iraq, Laos, Lebanon, Macedonia, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar, Namibia, Nigeria, Palestine, Philippines, Russia, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uruguay, Vietnam, Yemen

How much is the scholarship?

  • No tuition fee

  • monthly stipend:

  • for Bachelor or Master: EUR 130

  • for Doctoral: EUR 325

  • free dormitory places or contribution to private accommodation: EUR 100

  • medical insurance

The Other Costs

  • Almost all educational institution ask some application fee: It could 20 -300 € varies by the university

  • Some university asks onetime deposit: 0 – 2000 €

  • The accommodation outside Budapest starts from 120 €/ month, in Budapest 200 € /month

  • Health insurance 200 € / year

  • Living costs 200 € / month

If you download our free guide you can find the tuition information on the Hungarian scholarships.

Can you work during the studies?

If you hold a residence permit for the purpose of pursuing studies:

· you are not required to obtain a residence permit for the purpose of pursuing a gainful activity or employment during the time of study;

· no work permit is needed for a foreign national residing in Hungary as a student receiving full-time education, during the period of his/her studies.

Third-country nationals holding a residence permit for the purpose of studies may engage in any full-time occupational activity during their term-time for maximum twenty-four hours weekly, and outside their term-time for a maximum period of ninety days or sixty-six working days in a year.

Featured Posts
No posts published in this language yet
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page